I've taken a long break from doing actual physical hobby work with about a year's worth of pure house rules on my blog is testament to that. While I'm not keen on the way the Primaris marines were introduced in the background, I rather do like the basic Intercessor figs themselves. I've made numerous truescale attempts here in the past from deathwatch to space wolves to even primarchs so it didn't come as a suprise to me that I liked the IMO better proportioned primaris models. At first I thought of restarting my old Space Wolf truescale project with the new primaris models but there are folks that I've found that are doing that much better than I'd ever be able to (like this and this). Additionally, I wanted to try something new as well which only cemented my decision. Instead, I decided to revisit an idea that I ten years ago regarding making a custom chapter of Winged Hussar space marines. Winged Hussars were a Renaissance era heavy cavalry unit for the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth named after the prominent feathers attached to frames on their back. They wore suits of plate armor and were equipped with lances and sabres.
When I came up with the idea years ago, the only readily available bits in 28mm 40k scale were the Dark Angel Ravenwing bits which were too large for infantry figures (but were a good size for the 54mm Inquisitor Artemis figure that was also a brief resurrection of the idea for me a few years ago). Since then, 3rd party bits makers like Maxmini and Puppetswar have produced compatible "wings" and other accessories (especially Puppetwar as they're based in Poland) but they were a bit too scifi for the asthetic I was going for. Recently, I found some smaller scale historical kits from European manufactures that might fit better both asthetically and sizewise. I picked up two of the sword wielding Primaris Lieutenants with the goal of making a Winged Hussar character. Working from that basic figure, I swapped out the power sword for a custom built sabre made from a heat curved Grey Knight sword with an old chainsword pommel. Additionally, I trimmed down a small tabard and added it to the figure. Regarding the actual wings, the Zvezda kit that I got comes with two types, one straight and one curved. I blu-tac test fitted both as picture below as I'm not sure which one I'll choose (although I'm leaning towards the straight variety).
The plastic on the wings is definitely different that GW style polystyrene as it is glossy and more brittle and reminds me a bit more of the Robotech RPG Tactics plastic. I'm test fitting some of the sprue bits with my Testors plastic glue to make sure them work. Some other (expensive for one fig!) ideas I'm thinking about is getting some of the Puppetwars Hussar sabres and Cossack heads to give the model even more of a customized look.
They do have hussar specific helmets but I'm not sure of the size and not frankly particular to their look either. Thanks for reading and if anyone has any comments or advice then feel free to share.
Post a Comment