Friday, November 4, 2016

Star Trek Wasp Class Destroyer for FASA STSCS

Another of Bill Krause's physical models ported over to the old FASA game system!  Bill did not actually design this vessel originally but rather adapted it from the original Hornet Class fighter carrier designed by Lawrence Miller years earlier.


Since I'm using Bill's tweaked design (and art with his permission) instead of the original Hornet version, I've decided to name it the Wasp Class after his own physical ship model.



Originally, the Hornet class was an approximately 147,000 ton (Class X in FASA game terms) carrier with externally attached fighters.  Unfortunately, carriers and fighters don't really exist in the old FASA starship combat rules and I've been trying to stay true to the core rules and design mechanics whenever possible.  Additionally, as a Class X vessel, it felt too similar in feel to either the Class IX Sentinel if conservatively statted out or especially the Class XI Shangri-la if aggressively statted out.  Instead, I've decided to make it a much lighter destroyer class instead for my FASA houserule stats while still paying homage to its original "carrier" role in the stats and especially the backstory.  So, without further blathering on, here is my take on the Wasp Class VIII Destroyer.  To get the full sized picture suitable for printing, right click and open the image in a new window.

In making this destroyer, I was trying carefully not to supercede the next size/power class up, namely the light cruiser.  The most modern official FASA light cruiser, the Andor class, is still markedly more powerful than the Mk I version of this destroyer which was its contemporary but on par with the upgraded Mk II of several years later.  Initially that bothered me but then I took a closer look at the Andor class itself and saw that it only ever had a single variant.  It was certainly in need of an upgrade after 5+ years of service and I came up with my own stats for a Mk II modernized Class IX Andor that is still noticeably less powerful than the heavier Enterprise Class XI cruisers and Chandley/Northhampton Class X-XI frigates but also noticeably more powerful than this smaller Class VIII destroyer.  Once I'm done with new ships, I may post my upgraded Andor Class light cruiser as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment