Friday, June 16, 2017

Shield of the Federation... The mighty Repulse Class Destroyer!

Just on the heels of producing the finished U.S.S. Hood, Tycho Shipyards (a.k.a. modelmaker Bill Krause) pulled triple shifts in order to also complete yet another ship, the Repulse heavy destroyer, in record time.  Bill went from a basic frame to finished model in just over two weeks in order to be able to display the model at the Wonderfest 2017 convention in early June.  You can follow his remarkable progress at the modelling thread linked further below.  Obviously, this puts my own pace at finishing my single Tau broadside and dozen or so Rafm gears to shame.  Here is a pic of the finished product that frankly I suspect many people will think is a CGI 3D model screen cap instead of an LED lit physical one.


This is the first of Bill's models that I've followed since the planning stages and it was nice to see it coming together and the changes made in relative real time with his posts.  He graciously allowed me to use the images for my sheets as with previous models and even gave me some insider info on the dimensions and official stats of the class.  I've tried to follow them as much as I could within the bounds of the FASA rules while still keeping the class distinct from other ships (including another destroyer that I have planned).  Whereas Bill's Sentinel light cruiser is a graceful and advanced rapier, I made the Repulse a dependable and durable heavy destroyer in the stats.  I hope you guys and gals enjoy and as always let me know if you find any mistakes or have any questions/comments/criticisms.
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I really like ships from the TOS-Movies 1-6 eras. I probably like the older TOS ships best. Those cylindrical nacelles look like they are big enough to hold engines that could propel a ship to warp speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a big TNG era fan (both of the shows and design asthetics) but since coming back to Star Trek fandom in the past year or two I've come to appreciate TOS alot more. Thats largely thanks to folks like Bill Krause (designer of the above Repulse and my favorite Sentinel) who updated the 1960's look while still keeping enough to call it TOS style.

    ReplyDelete